The Book Review
I have to do it again. I just have to, and I know you’ll forgive me, ’cause this is just so much a vital part of any author’s authorness and success.
I have to gress to The Book Review, interrupting the book writing and manuscript submission process I’m sharing with you. Yeah, that’s in capital letters, reminiscent of The Closing in real estate. Don’t you just hear those capital letters anytime anyone buys a house and they say those words in hushed, reverent tones – “The Closing” – the Holy Grail of real estate transactions.
Well, The Book Review seems to be the Holy Grail for authors.
Do you like to get a tooth pulled? Maybe a root canal (just pull the tooth!)?
Anyway, giving a book review seems to be akin to pulling teeth for most people, or better still, getting up in front of people to speak.
Yes…I’ve decided, psychologically speaking, that most people’s alarms go off and their eyes glaze over when you ask them to go into Amazon and/or Barnes and Noble online and give you a book review (5 stars, please! Ha!) after they tell you how wonderful your book was and s/he really enjoyed reading it.
These alarms go off because their brains (I’m sure; this is my conclusion) that when they hear the word “review” it automatically translates to “report,” and who liked to write and give those dreaded book reports (make it two pages, the teacher said) back in intermediate, middle or high school? Yikes, standing in front of all those kids…
Since the #1 fear for most people is public speaking, writing being a close second, the eyes glaze over and ears shut down. I tell them:
- It takes about 2 minutes, considering how fast fingers fly over smart phones, etc., these days;
- Google Amazon;
- Click on Books;
- Type in No Sma…my book comes up at the top of the list;
- Click on No Small Deceit;
- Click on the pic of the small book that comes up, a bigger book comes up;
- Click on Customer Reviews and go from there.
- You can remain anonymous. You don’t have to have bought it from Amazon (what about those book signings where I signed it for you???) or B&N.
- Choose 5 stars, of course (you just said what a great book it was!)
- Your comment can be as short or long as you like. e., “Great book!” “You must read this,” ….
- Submit and X out.
Or, go have a tooth pulled!